Thursday 7 May 2015

Don’t Waste Time and Energy Worrying about Things Beyond Your Control






Shit happens.  I was reminded of this on the weekend when I was driving home from the National Team Trials on the 1996 Olympic course in Gainesville, Ga.  My drive was going well - I was making great time, wasn’t getting sleepy, as usual was getting incredible mileage in my VW Golf TDI wagon and had found lots of engaging stuff on the satellite radio.  I was running over plans for Monday in my mind:  breakfast at home, take the dogs to the dog park, have a nice nap, then put my board in the water and go for an easy paddle on my home waters. 

Suddenly, at about 6 a.m., things started to go wrong.  My car lost power and was limping along, not responding to any pressure on the gas pedal.  The check engine light came on and the glow plug light started flashing.  I consulted the manual.  I was in “limp mode”, designed to help you get to a service center while keeping engine revs low so as not to damage the engine.  I limped along for a short while, staying in the right lane on the interstate going downhill and on the shoulder with flashers on going uphill, trying to get to a VW service center.  A short time later my car lost all power and I found myself on the side of 1-79, about 25 km south of Erie, Pa. 

The rest is a bit of a blur.  I called roadside assistance and they arranged a tow to a dealer in Erie.  I checked in with the service department and then sat around waiting for Chris Lightboud to come down to Erie to pick up me, my board and all the junk in my car. What a great friend to do that.  I looked through the various VW and TDI forums on the Internet.  It’s a lot like checking Web MD to see what medical condition the symptoms you’re suffering from might indicate.  It makes your mind race.  I was bummed.  My plans for the day were shot and now I was facing the uncertainty of not having my car and dealing with the repairs.  Would VW honor the warranty?  Was it a mechanical failure or did the last station I filled up at in Fort Chiswell, Va have contaminated diesel?  The service department at the dealer was short staffed and wasn’t going to be able to look at the car for a few days.  There was lots of uncertainty and lots I could get stressed about.
Chris eventually arrived to pick me up, we got my board and all my stuff loaded up and headed home.  We talked about the Carolina Cup, the Trials and whatever else came to mind and before I knew it the 2 ½ hour trip was over and I was home.  It was 4:30 pm and I got my quality dog time in, got to relax a little and had a nice dinner.  And I made sure I got any signs of frustration and stress under control.

One thing I learned as a National Team paddler back in the early ‘80s is that there’s no point in worrying about things beyond your control.  When we were travelling all over Europe, and all over the old Communist East Bloc, things always seemed to crop up that ruined, or at least changed, our plans.  Hours spent waiting in customs, showing up to train before a regatta and not having boats for a couple of days, horrible food, drunk Russian coaches making noise all night in the room next to yours through paper thing walls, etc.  All of these are examples of things that can conspire to affect your performance. They certainly are not ideal scenarios to deal with while you’re preparing to race at a World Cup the next morning or in a few days. 

Interestingly enough, however, I learned through experience that these types of things only seemed to affect me as much as I let them.  I discovered if I just shut my mind off and didn’t worry about things that were far beyond my control, the actual impact of any of these things was minimal and even non-existent.  I had some great races under some trying circumstances.  I observed other members of the team or other athletes from other countries deal with similar circumstances.  There was a pattern.  Those that got stressed about things beyond their control – anything from noisy neighbors in the hotel to unfair winds on the course – tended to race poorly.  Those that seemed unaffected by these external things tended to race really well.  Sure, unfair conditions might affect their performance, but they always seemed to do far better in them than anyone expected they would. 

It’s pretty clear.  A certain amount of stress helps you perform better.  Too much impacts your performance negatively.  You’ll find lots of books in the self help section that describe how stress affects performance and offer suggestions on how to deal with that stress.  Moreover you’ll also find lots of information on how stress affects your health.  It’s not good. 

Letting stressors just roll off you like water off a duck’s back is easier said than done.  It’s not easy, and some things that stress you are a lot harder to ignore than others.  But in general, most of the things that stress us probably shouldn’t.  It’s worth asking yourself, “What can I do to change the situation?”  If the answer is nothing, that the situation is totally beyond your control, why are you worried about it?  Can you do anything when your flight is delayed?  Sure, it’s a pain in the ass and means you’ll likely miss your connection, but is it the end of the world?  You’ll find you’ll feel a lot better if you just let it go and go with the flow rather than get mad or worried about it.  And if you’re on your way to a race, I guarantee you’ll have a lot more energy for your race when you finally get there if you just shut your brain off and go with the flow. 

Why do we worry about the race conditions if we can’t control them?  All we can do is our best.  Even if the conditions are really challenging for you, you’ll do a lot better if you don’t worry about them and just do your best.  You’ll be more relaxed and alert and able to respond more quickly and decisively when you need to.  If you’re worried and stressed you’ll be tight and you’ll struggle.  I’ve seen athletes literally paralyzed by stress when they’re racing.  Their races turn into disasters that really were avoidable if they’d just managed to deal with their stress levels more effectively.

Everyone has their own way of keeping things in perspective and dealing with stress.  We’re all different so you have to find a way that works for you.  However one principle is going to be useful for everybody – don’t waste your time and energy worrying about things you have no control over.  What’s going to happen is going to happen.  Accept it.  Stay calm, relaxed and confident.  Don’t let it ruin your day.  What’s the worst thing that can happen?  The situation you’re dealing with is likely so far from that it’s insignificant in comparison.  If you can manage to become better at this I’m certain you’ll find your race weekends will be more fun and your performances better.  You’ll probably also be healthier in the long run as well.

I have no idea what is going to happen with my car.  Apparently it was in the shop today but I still haven’t heard what the problem is.  I have no idea whether it is a minor or major repair and whether it will be covered by warranty or not.  It’s all complicated by the fact that I leave for Europe on Sunday, and there is a very real chance that repairs won’t be finished by then.  It’s a hassle, but it could be worse.  I’m not letting it ruin my day.  When I find out what the problem is I’ll deal with it.  It’s beyond my control.  Why worry about it now?